Saturday, October 29, 2016

Algonquin vs St John's - 2016.10.28

Photos to Download


It took me quite a bit longer than usual to post the pictures for this this game because the photos took a lot more work to process. This game seemed tougher to shoot than the Wachusett game that was also played at home at night and it is a little daunting to go through 900 underexposed and dark pictures to get down to the 50-100 best shots. I was able to go through the 850 JV pictures in less than 2 hours and I posted them before dinner the same day. The varsity field at Algonquin is extremely dark and I think that my 5D Mark III was having metering issues resulting in underexposed pictures so I was forced to revert to the 7D Mark II even though I know that it has inferior low light performance. My basic setup was the same that I use for most JV games, which are all played in daylight. I used the Canon 7D Mark II fitted with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM in manual mode for almost all shots. I tried to keep the shutter speed at 1/1000 sec to freeze any motion and the aperture at f/2.8 and allowed the camera to automatically set the ISO, limited to 12,800. Tonight most shots were at 12,800 even in the center of the field so I had to do a bit more noise reduction in post processing. I had to throw away all pictures in the end zones from this shoot because they were just terrible. The best part of the whole night was that Sam, my son who plays for Algonquin, got into the game for the last 5 minutes. Hopefully there will be more of that in the weeks and years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment