Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Algonquin vs Wachusett - 2016.10.23

Photos to Download




This game was one of the most challenging photo shoots that I have ever done because of the low light conditions on the field. The varsity field at Algonquin is significantly darker than any of the other fields that I have shot at requiring me to push the limits of the camera. I used the Canon 5D Mark III fitted with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM in manual mode for almost all shots. Typically, for a football game, I try to keep the shutter speed at 1/1000 sec to freeze any motion and if the aperture is at f/2.8 - f/3.2 then I can use ISO 6400 at night games and lower for day or well lit night games. Tonight, even at f/2.8, I had to push the ISO to 10,000 for most shots and even 12,800 away from the center of the field. The lighting in the end zones was so bad that I had to throw away several would be keepers of touchdowns because they were not salvageable. Overall, I am a bit disappointed in how the pictures turned out mainly because of how dark they are. I will chalk this game up as a learning experience and come up with a game plan for getting better results because I will be shooting a lot more night games at this field in the next couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment