Saturday, October 8, 2016

Algonquin Varsity at Leominster - 2016.10.07

Photos to Download



This was my first time shooting a night game so I had to make some changes to my standard setup to deal with the lighting. I switched to the Canon 5D Mark III as my main camera because it has better low light performance than the 7d Mark II. I fitted 5D with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens for most shots and used the 7D Mark II with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II lens when the action got really close. The lighting in the end-zones is much worse than at center field so there are not too many good shots where most people would like to see them. It was also quite challenging switching between cameras so I will have to figure out a better system there.

On the 5D I shot in manual mode and experimented with the aperture between f/2.8 and f/3.2 to balance exposure with a narrow DOF. I wanted to keep the shutter speed faster than 1/1000 sec so I pushed the ISO to 6400 but still had to drop to 1/800 sec and even 1/640 sec at times to get decent exposure. The high ISO setting caused a lot of noise which I tried to deal with in post with Lightroom (my first time for this) and the low shutter speeds caused some blur in a few photos. I experimented a little with shutter priority (Tv) on the 5D with some success but on the 7D I was getting severely over exposed shots with shutter priority so I went back to manual mode.

As I mentioned, this was my first time attempting noise reduction in Lightroom CC 6.1 using the Detail tool. For Sharpening I set the Amount to 30-40 with the Radius at 1.4 and Detail at 15. Under the Noise Reduction tab I pushed the luminance to 50+ and detail to 30-40 in most pictures. I did not touch the Color tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment